Engagement, expansion and completion: Why Q3 was a great time for mobile display ads
We’ve just released Q3 2014 Mobile Display Ad Performance Report, our quarterly benchmarks providing insight and market analysis about the performance of mobile display ad products.
The latest edition of reports sees the growth witnessed in previous quarter continue in Q3 across key engagement metrics, such as ad expansion rate, ad engagement rate and time spent. Smart video ad formats are still outperforming other format types in engagement rate and time spent while ads placed within apps witness longer time spent on ad unit and higher video play rates than ads placed in web browsers.
- Ad expansion rate for Standard ad formats keeps increasing steadily this year. In Q3, Standard format type ads received a 0.66% expansion rate, compared to 0.61% in Q2. With 0.68% Smart video format ads still have a slightly higher expansion rate.
- Ad engagement rate rose by 16% since Q2 for Standard format ads, while it remained roughly the same for other format types. The highest unit engagement rates for expandable banners were witnessed in technology (18.2%) and entertainment verticals (17.4%). As far as ad features are concerned, presentation features achieved higher engagement rates than video and gaming features. This is mainly because of Swipey, the most used presentation feature.
- Time spent on Standard expandable banner has increased by almost 4 seconds since Q2, but Smart video ad formats continue to keep the users engaged the longest (23.7 sec). The longest time spent on ad unit was witnessed in CPG (26.3 sec) and finance verticals (23.4 sec).
- Manual video play rate is slightly lower this quarter for Standard ads, while Smart video format ads continue to use auto-play video settings (which are not included in video play rate performance benchmark). Technology vertical again stood out compared to other verticals in video play rate performance with 30.2%.
- Video completion rate reached a staggering 41.5% in Q3, which means that over 40% of users complete watching videos in display ads.
Click here to view the full Mobile Display Ads Performance Report.
More from Digiday
TikTok has officially launched its new e-commerce platform, TikTok Shop, earlier this month on August 1. Using the new e-commerce platform, brands and creators can sell products directly on the platform, potentially creating new revenue streams, and tap into the short-form video platform’s growing popularity.
‘The influencer industry can be really vile’: Confessions of an influencer marketer on the industry’s unfair hiring practices
While the influencer industry might sound exciting and like it’s full of opportunities, one marketer can vouch for the horrific scenarios that still take place behind the scenes.
After a tumultuous 12 months, marketers are getting a clear picture of how they really did during a time of true uncertainty. And, as it turns out, it wasn’t all that bad.
Ad position: web_bfu